Friday, September 21, 2012

The Flight Over and Early Impressions

Earlier this week, we arrived in Salzburg by car, plane, another plane, a shuttle, a train, and Strassenbahn. I had three competing feelings - excitement, exhaustion, and a sense of urgency.  We needed to make it to Salzburg before the office of our complex closed, so there wasn't much sightseeing on the way from Vienna (Wien).

Commence photos!

At the airport before our flight to D.C.
At the D.C. airport - can you see the crazy/tired?
You can absolutely see it here.
I haven't flown in over a decade, so this may be old news, but I loved how the screens on the back of the seats had maps of where we were flying over, and the live feed from the two cameras positioned at the front and bottom of the plane.
The sunrise from out of my window
 The first night was pretty horrendous.  Our beds didn't have sheets, so we used makeshift sheets in the form of bath towels, bath robes, sweatshirts, and the like.  Sleep came early in the morning and wasn't very fulfilling.  We still haven't shaken the jet-lag.  Also, sadness crept in with the realization that I was actually far, far away from home, so we dealt with that too.

I am happy to report that here, on Day 4, I feel much, much better.  We have accomplished so much and I feel much more settled in Salzburg, so to speak.  Every day, our "normal" life continues to emerge: bank accounts, cell phones, bed sheets, pots and pans, food in the fridge, a lease, etc.  These may not be the most exciting tasks for a first-time European visitor, but I'm much too Type-A to let them be anything besides Priority #1 (and 2, 3, 4, 5...).

Well, that's all for now.  We're looking forward to our first weekend here, and I do have to say that now that some tasks are checked off our list, I think we're going to enjoy it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment