Monday, November 26, 2012

Festung Hohensalzburg

So, you know that fortress that's in all of my photos?  WE WENT THERE.  We've been having lovely fall weather, consistently in the 50s for as long as I can remember, so we made the trek to Festung Hohensalzburg before the weather turns.



First, we thought we would take the funicular up to the fortress, but the little holding room was overrun with people.  We overheard an American tourist, when asked how long the walk was, say "too far."  We knew then that we had to walk it.  And, walking saved about four Euros and I'm not one to turn down a savings.   

Admittedly, I wasn't the happiest of walkers.  We didn't capture that for posterity, thankfully.  My foot-gear wasn't particularly suited for the climb, but in less than fifteen minutes, we were feasting our eyes on all of the medieval splendor.


If you want the history on the place, click the link.  Although all of the information in the fortress' museums is translated into English, much of it wasn't absorbed.  War and sieges don't really do it for me, so looking at room after room of military uniforms and weapons left me feeling a little numb.  Maybe it's because I'm fortunate enough to feel disconnected from it.  It's difficult to imagine war, whether it happened in medieval times or yesterday.  And it's difficult to imagine it here, where everything seems so pristine.  Fortunately, the fortress' museums covered more than just the defense aspect of the site. 

What made it worth it for me were the details and textures.  Also, mimicking amazement as I glanced out a window while my face was stuffed with a secret, verboten chocolate bar.  Security was coming, or so I thought, and in my defense, the "no food" rule should only apply for food carried by hand, not by mouth.









You know when you go places and you're not sure if you can take pictures?  There's the awkward "Do I? Don't I?" battle.  Well, in this part of the war/defense museum, there was a sign with a drawing of a camera with a flash with the ol' red circle and line through it.  Did that mean no flash photography?  I decided that was what it communicated TO ME, but I was still a bit uncomfortable, hence the smug smile.  But, THAT DOOR. 


Ben felt connected to this man. 



Another museum in the fortress featured torture devices, like this chastity belt and this mouth-pryer-opener.  Not a torture device?  The serpent horn.  


Another Salzburg site checked off our list.

No comments:

Post a Comment