Friday, December 14, 2012

The 10 Most Fascinating Aspects of Life in Austria: Part II

Let's continue the list of The Ten Most Fascinating Aspects of Life in Austria (whew, that's a long title!).


3. Austrians' Take-Care-of-Yourself Mentality      


Alongside the "asking" vs. "telling" culture is the idea of the take-care-of-yourself mentality of Austrians.   

There have been multiple opportunities for us to observe this.  We live on the top floor of our building and our room has two gigantic windows.  If I were to stand on the inner window ledge, the windows would be about my height.  These gigantic windows swing open all the way.  And there are no screens, no bars, nothing.  There are no barriers telling you not to jump out, or not to leave your window open because birds can fly in.  Austrians expect that you know better and can take care of yourself.  Maybe if a bird flies in your room and makes a nest in your shower, you deserve it.

When the floors in our building get mopped, no "Caution: Wet Floor" signs are put up.  That means that you should see that the floor is a little too shiny and proceed accordingly.     

via

When we went to the catacombs back in October, Ben and I commented on how a place like that wouldn't be open to the public if it were in America.  The stone steps were small and steep.  If memory serves, there weren't handrails in all of the stairways.  You can bet that if an American falls down in a restaurant, in a store, or anywhere, they are much more likely to sue than an Austrian.  Here, if you are unsteady on your feet and can't climb, stay away from the catacombs tour!  You are expected to make the decision if it's prudent or not.

4. Bio (Organic) Food  

Going along with Austria's commitment to the environment is their belief in organic food and farming.  It's been my experience in the United States that the price difference between buying organic apples and inorganic apples, for example, is enough to make me always buy the inorganic. Organic apples can be nearly double the price of inorganic apples, suggesting that if you want to eat well, you better have the money and be ready to pay for it.  In Austria, however, the difference in price between organic and inorganic produce is much more manageable and we've been able to buy organic mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, etc.  I'm willing to pay 20 cents more for a package of organic mushrooms.  



Eggs are another interesting product.  When we first went grocery shopping at Hofer (it's the same company as Aldi, except in Austria it's called Hofer), I went to the cooler to pick out a carton of eggs.  Then, I saw cartons of eggs stacked in boxes next to the cooler.  Wait! I thought to myself, someone forgot to put the eggs away!  They're all going to go bad!  I'm learning a little at a time.  I picked out my non-refrigerated 10-pack of organic, not- genetically-altered brown eggs and that's what we've been buying ever since.

I don't know much about farming (surprise surprise!) but as a consumer, I like having choices and knowing that I'm not being absolutely price gouged when I choose to buy organic.  



     
Here's a loaf of bio bread with a Ja! Natürlich stamp on it.  You can see the logo in the upper left corner on the bread bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment